Monday, November 4, 2013

Public Service Announcement


This week has been great, there's not much that could have made it better. Well other than things going as planed, but we shall get to that later. So this was the second week of my ferien (school break) and for some reason I still hadn't thought to take a trip somewhere.

WHAT WAS WRONG WITH ME!?!?!? I had two weeks why didn't I look into a cheep flight to Spain, or Morocco, or London, or Sicily, I think you get the point. There is even a few websites that I forgot, but the gist is you tell them how much you are willing to spend and they find you a ticket. The catch is you don't know where your going until you get the ticket. 

Part of me says that it was just undersight and that I seriously was just brain dead. The other part of me says that it is the fact I don't like to travel alone, especially to new places. If i'm going to get lost at least I'll have company. But in hindsight I should have done somthing. So what did I do?

Monday and Tuesday where spent preparing for Halloween. Though it is not a widely celebrated holiday here, it is up and coming. Trick or treating has become a bigger deal in the past few years. Those that know me understand I love a good scare, so when Andreas gave me a chance to scare children I was all ears. We decided on a ghost running down at them as the gag, along with some other decorations. 

My contribution to Public Service Announcements
we also added a whiskey bottle to her hand  

A coffin

 Astonished Children and Parents

I spent the evening of halloween here, for a bit anyway.

The Jack'O'Lantern

I neglected to film the ghost coming down the wire or any of the children, or parents reaction. 

Wednesday we proceed to have a halloween movie night with Bri, We decided on a movie that neither of us had seen. 
 Bri had no idea what she was in for I was decently aware. Now of course we also had full "Prop bags."  If you have never scene this film definitely find a friend who knows the prop bag and watch it. 

Prop bag laid out

Thursday was of Course Halloween and I already told you about the decorations and such. There was also a fair in town this week, and that was the day the fireworks where going on. So Bri and I headed down there to see what it was all about. 



NASA

Before leaving some of Simon's Friends had started to show up. In Germany you begin celebrating Geburtstag (birthdays) the evening before. Usually with close friends, It is also bad luck to wish someone happy birthday before their Birthday. So Upon arrival home I found a party well into motion. 

Spent the evening talking with the Germans about just about everything, there was the usual talk, politics, who I was, what I'm here for, what I study, Oh I've been to the US.

However I am no longer content with letting conversations die there. So I started taking the conversation farther. It was a little easier than what I had herd other PPP'ers Talking about. The Program warned us, and then warned us again, and one last time before we left phase one said it. Making friends abroad is HARD. 

Thats not a picture for a mixed drink (although I may have to experiment with the idea), that is the comparison analogy of the US and Germany. Germans tend to be more reserved, and take longer to break into than americans. So as an American you actually have to work at making friends. 

Well I managed something through a couple beers and conversation, I found myself having an invite to the Friday night Fußall Spiel. 

So Friday night I headed to meet the group by the high school. Once everyone showed up we headed for the stadium. 



 VS.



Münster played a rival team from Rostock. The streets to the game where crawling with law enforcement in riot gear. Now I had scene before the police following and caroling fans, but not this much. Well I came to find out from the guys that the opposing  team is know to be violent so they where being extra cautious. I didn't actually see much of the game, I was in the standing section and there where to many flags waving in front of me. Sadley we lost 1:2, better luck next time. 

The Stadium 
Moritz, Beltazar, Frederick, Alex

Saturday Morning I made my first trip from Münster, and headed for köln. The plan was to see the city by day with some other PPP'ers and then experience a night club. Remember when I said things didn't go as planned. 

Everything started out as expected; Met Kyle at the bahnhof and jumped on the U-bahn to meet up with Scott and Stephanie. We were going to hit up a flee market but it started to pour rain, so back to the bahnhof and to the famous KölnerDom.



Stephanie, Scott and Kyle checking out the art inside






After deciding to check out some art, we headed to the Ludwig Museum, all I can say is that I don't understand modern art. How can a photo of the statue in the next room make money, I took the same photo its just not printed on canvas! 

 Getting hungry we headed out to get some dinner, before Stephanie headed home. We went on to meat up with Andrew P, Austin, and Cole at a bar and drink a little. 

Paid my respects to the local beer, and well thats about it. 
Kolsch is well the lightest beir I've ever drank. 



But Cody I thought you said things didn't go as planed? I'm getting there right now. we started to look for a good club to chill at, just somewhere with good music. Ya know to show off my extensive dance skills, Running Man, lawnmower, cabbage patch. Well it was told to me before I left that koln was the San Fransisco of Europe, well they where right. Every club we came to was a gay club, minus 2 that is, one was a furry club, and the other had neo Nazis hanging around so yea. 

For those who don't know what furries are just google it. 

So this put a damper on the plans, which where; since I couldn't find a hostel for the night, to stay at a club till the first train home. But instead ended up wandering the streets of koln. One of the last things I saw before catching my 4:45 train was the koln bridge. 



these locks are "Locks of Love" all over Germany you will find them on bridges. You put the lock on the bridge and then kiss while throwing the key away into the river. This bridge is the largest collection I know of  they actually have to cut locks off on a regular basis because the added weight is so much that it has compromised the integrity of the bridge. 

Theres a physics/ engineering problem for ya, how many locks can be added to your bridge before it fails?



Night shot of the Dom, slightly edited the highlights to lighten my face and got This. 

I go back to work this week and have to say "Its the least amount of work I've ever done. This is definitely vacation." Puts on alpine hat, picks up pipe and begins to puff. Sits down under a nice tree in a park. "AHHHH Vacation." 

Ich wünschte, du wärst hier,

Cody A Glick

No comments:

Post a Comment