Sunday, November 10, 2013

100 days overseas, It might be hitting me now.

So as I write this I have been gone for approximately 8,812,800 Seconds or 102 days. I Can't say that Homesickness or Culture Shock ever really hit me, I've always been able to adjust to situations and this hasn't been different. Of course part of that is due to the feeling of home and friendship I have here. 

However this week was hard for me, I'm not sure how to explain what I felt exactly. Those that know me know I don't do good when it comes to being in touch with my emotions. Anyway, the school returned from its 2 week ferien and I am now assigned to a class. I'm not one who thinks spending a day in a classroom full of younger children is enjoyable, there's a reason I chose a job working in a lab or with mainly adults I was of course up for the new challenge though. The problem is that I can't seem to find happy ground with my internship. I either feel underutilized or overwhelmed. The easiest way to explain it, is to give you the layout of the week and go from there. 

Monday; Was actually nothing at school. The social worker I work with had forgotten to tell me he would be out of town for the week, and the class I'm assigned to doesn't meet on Mondays. So I spent the first part of the day waiting for something to do. Ended up working out for the best once I was aware of the happenings. I had been trying to schedule an appointment with the zahnarzt. And managed to make it to see her that evening for the first part. 


Yup I had a major cavity that had finally reached the nerves, we drilled it out and added a medication to kill the nerves. I go back tomorrow to remove the roots and have another tooth looked at. 

The rest of the week I sat in the classes and did the intern thing. I found myself often thinking, they know I'm a Forensic Scientist and not a teacher right. I did much more "tutoring" this week.

So lets look at how I feel underutilized, sitting in a math class my only job for the entire day was to make the answer key. Of course I also had to help a few students who asked m for help with a problem here and there. So I end up sitting at a desk in the back of the room and twiddling my thumbs. 

Now A few days later I felt completely overwhelmed, the assignment was to read the first two pages of Robinson Crusoe (translated in German of course) and then there where 8 photos and they needed to wright what sentences belonged with which picture. Not really to hard, being as the day before we had talked over the photos. I was set in a group who needed extra help with this assignment. Maybe they just expected me to spoon feed then the answers, but they where completely reliant on my help. Of course I couldn't find the words in German to explain it with out giving just the answer. After a lot of confusion on all parts, I figured out how to get around it. 

This week I'll be doing more in the social work, hopefully this helps to even it out. I'm still planing to try for the police department, but for now will continue to search for the joy and the fulfillment in my current internship.

I spent the later part of tuesday through thursday arguing about politics... Joy. I'm quite out spoken on my views and that can really bug people. The conversation started over a teacher having some legal stuff happening back home, and then someone made a comment about how this accused teacher would talk about politics in his class, and that kids (high school students) have no need to hear about politics. 

I don't really want to clutter my blog with the argument, so I'll synopsis my views. 

We need to teach children politics in schools and that high school if anything is too late. And that children are not innocent they know what sex, gays and drugs are well before high school.

Tuesday evening I joined Bri for a tandem partner meeting and then a Movie. Well we were actually a little off, apparently its BYOB, so we ended up working together, still an interesting night and worth the trip. The movie was


A movie about post WWII GDR, It was really good, I tried not to rely on the subtitles only, as much as possible anyway.  

Wednesday I spent the evening with Andreas. We shared our music interests one song at a time, and we have very similar tastes. 

Thursday our Sweet tooths made the best of us and we decided it was time to bake. After looking through an American baking book Bri decided on Nutella Brownies, and I on Dream bars. 

Lets let the photos do the talking first 


dark chocolate over the crust




Bri's Brownies

My Dream Bars

Friday I needed some exercise and some alone thinking time so I headed out to the A Sea. Spent a couple hours there with a lovely cigar and a good classic read.  


I got word from a friend, Rodrigo, that he was going to Düsseldorf to visit his gest sister. Well after some conversation, train checking and, most importantly, planning we determined I would meet him there. 

I headed out Saturday afternoon and got to into town right around 5. When I talked with Andreas over my trip he gave me some sights and the closest was Königs Alle. One of the expensive parts of town, The shops where nice and of some of the most expensive brands I knew. So what possesed me to walk into a cigar shop sandwiched between Gucci, Coach and Vuitton, I'm still not sure. The shop was nice well stocked and of the highest quality a lot of names I was familiar with, some I had never heard of and some that were just to expensive back home to try. 

After standing there enjoying the smell of the aged tobacco, the 70% humidity carried the smell of spanish ceder, a light wisp of smoke..... oh thats right I was working on a blog, kind of spaced out. Anyway, back to reality, I asked the gentleman at the counter if he had a nice Maduro cigar. And his response "Cuban of havannan." Cuban of course, The forbidden fruit of the US cigar aficionado, or a normal cigar, the choice was simple. "Shall I cut it for you?" Bitte, and without thought. He wrung up my purchase as I sat there and smelled the glory of this dark black stick.. the aroma was mesmerizing... until "24.50 Euro Bitte.".... WAS? This was a little shocking but it wasn't like I could just walk out now, so I handed over the cash and left with the cigar. 

After wandering the City for a good place to taste the rich smoke I settled on the Irish pub. After ordering an Irish coffee I lit my cigar. 

 I felt quite sophisticated sitting there, in Europe with a nice cigar an adult beverage, wearing some casual slacks and a casual dress jacket. 

As the cigar burned away I began to notice the people around me. I guess I was a little odd. Even in Europe its rare to see a Cigar Aficionado in the wild. Sadly I will say, as I could enjoy the company of one. 

SO How Did It taste?
As some of you know I use to do reviews for Cigars, with some people called CigarGeeks. I figure I can do a short review for this delicious stick here. 






The original thoughts;
A nicely wrapped cigar. Rich smells

The initial puffs; 
One had the taste in their mouth before the first puff. A very well balanced earthy tone with dark and sweet tones. The cigar took fire very evenly. and the smoke carried well. A well moisented storage was used because the smoke was neither overly dry nor moist. 
The cigar did burn unevenly with the top burning faster than the bottom. As one smoked the cigar the flavor did very little changing and kept its character well. I was able to smoke the entire cigar to the ring, without having a resin taste in my mouth. A very nice cigar. A tad pricy for the average man. This is still a cigar I would recommend giving a try, assuming you can justify the price.


After this wonderful smoke I continued on to meat the group, once again I forgot to take photos with my devices so I don't have them at the moment. We went on a beer tour. The city is known for its locally brewed Altbeers. A darker ale (halleluja), there are over a dozen brew houses in the altstadt (old town) I only tried 4 of the local wonders. 
We realized a light under a beer gives a cool light

 Killepilsch
Pronounced Kill a Bitch
is like a herbal schnapps with a similar flavor to JagerMeister. Das smecked mir Gut!

the only photo of the new friends I have... and Their names are escaping me....
Marie-lena and Maurus

The three Beer Dekel I collected, My quest was to try three different brews and I had to have proof. Uerige and Schloss where quite similar with Uerige being just a hair darker. But my favorite of the knight was the Kuerzer, a fairly dark and spiced beer, delicious. So sad its only availible in that town.


The evening was wonderful, Rodrigo and his friends where a blast. It was definitely worth the 1am train ride home, and the hour walk back to my house at 3. apparently every taxi driver in Munster doesn't know where the hauptschule is. 

Today ended out the week With a relaxing day, of course I slept till noon from getting home at 4am. And then Spent the evening playing Rummikub with Bri and Andreas.

And like the cigar, all things must come to an end,

Auf Wiedersehen,

Cody A. Glick

2 comments:

  1. Hey Cody! Wie geht's Herr Glick. Wie lange hast du jetz in Duetschland?
    Herr Professor Johnson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I touched down on German soil the 1st of August (2013), I then spent two months in Radolfzell am Bodensee, and am currently living in Münster (NRW). I skipped over the usual 2nd phase (university studies) and have already began my internship(s), due to my field (forensic science, focus in chemical toxicology). For the past month and a half I have worked at a local high school as a social worker.
      As for life in Germany; alles Gut, Alles in Ordnung, Aba ein bissen calt.

      Delete