Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Hunting, Thanksgiving and turning 21 in Münster I was a Busy Boy!

This past week has been a long one, it completely exhausted me, so this blog is only two days late and I'm ok with that. As this week progressed I had an annoying song stuck in my head every time I went somewhere....


Monday the christmas markets opened here in Münster. I bundled up and headed out with Bri to see what they where all about. They were amazing so many smells, Chestnuts roasting on an open fire, candies cooking, waffles backing, and the Glühwine. Besides the food there was music, a variety of street performers and musicians everywhere. Then there where the shops, so many things to look at, ornaments, clothing, wines, liquors, toys, decorations. My head is still spinning. 



Nutcracker Laden

After returning home I began to work on my advent gift to my friends. For those that don't know advent is the preparation for the nativity of Jesus. And begins on the 4th sunday before Christmas. It is celebrated in many ways, some fast, some attend church more regularly, and others do nothing. My host family has an advent wreath, standing on the table. Each candle is lit as a new Sunday of advent arrives. Sometimes there are 6 smaller candels between, one for each day of advent. An older advent calender of sorts. The current way that most people know advent is by the advent calender. A toy, of sorts, for children. Most calendars only contain 25 windows, one for each day of December up until Christmas. Some contain candies, some pictures and stories, and then theres mine. I built an Advent Calender for my friends and viewers called "Advent Like a German." 25 days of German living. If you would like a link just send me your email address and the calendar will pop into your inbox.

Wednesday I also went back to the christmas market to meet with Anika for the last meet to speak program. She introduced me to Gwenn the 4th in our set and another english speaker. It was a good night at the markets, just wondering around. We split off around 9ish and walked back to the meeting spot. True to my nature I walked all the way down to where we met when my bike stood 200m prior. What can I say I was enjoying the conversation. 

When I came home I shared my treasure with Andreas and Till. a creamed whiskey, and a chocolate chilli liquor. we ended up with some glühwine as well. I said I had the ear worms this week. well somehow our Fussball game turned into choir practice. it was quite entertaining. 

Thursday came with a little stress. I returned home from school and was informed that the turkeys wouldn't be cooked for us anymore. The guys ovens had broken. So we now needed to prepare as much of the side dishes that night for the dinner on Friday. Luckily I already had some reinforcements on the way as Bri would already be there, kyle, Josh and Scott were on their way. 





After a long night of cooking we finally set down to enjoy the fact that we were together. This weekend was supposed to be about feeling at home, and Scott definitely did that with a game of rummy. As I already knew, you lose time around a rummy table. Before we knew it 4 Am was upon us. 

Friday morning I arose early 6:30a early. I got a very special honor on friday, I am the First CBYX/PPP participant to participate in a state hunting exercise, and by their knowledge the first to actually hunt here. If you remember a few months ago I had a meeting and was invited and well it finally happened. After finding the hunters, Thank God they had on blaze orange, I had thought I was on the wrong street.  German hunting follows the old traditions of group hunting, we where 25 people. Many will sit in a deer stand and wait. While the rest run the deer towrds them. An interesting concept to what I am use to, where its more every hunter for themselves. They also use dogs but unlike the US where we use a large dog like a walker or a blue tick.....well they use these.....

Tiny little German pinschers aren't they cute little deer dogs.

 I spent a good bit of time in the woods that morning and it was wonderful. I was definitely not prepared for the unique terrain that the Vernal Moore provided. Once I saw the other hunters I realized my Jeans would be an issue, as they all wore thick rubber pants. I had also Forgot to get the spare pair of boots from the Garage (this I had realized on the bus).  I forgot that I was also hunting in a moore and that water would be everywhere.
I managed to stay dry till the near end, I had crossed several small creeks quickly and had stayed dry. True to my nature at the last crossing, the one I saw no way of getting wet I fell in. The crossing was wider than the others, wider than I could jump but there was a tree that had fallen over the creek it was nearly a foot in diameter. Now I know what your thinking; you slipped off the log and fell in. Actually know I had perfect balance, I was simply one step away from solid Ground.

 I went to take the last step and CRACK the tree snapped. Causing one foot to plunge into the water. The other problem I experienced all day was the way the grass grows. It grows in large tufts and spreads out. Now this doesn't sound to bad, just step in the middle right.well add a layer of fall leaves and trying to keep an eye on the hunting party, and evading thorny vines. I had a horid time finding my footing.

Anyway the death count was 5 for the day. And I personally saw 2 Hirsch (deer) and 4 pheasants. they should have give me a gun I'd of had the one. I mean I was so pissed I through my walking stick at him and managed to hit him, just not hard enough.

After the hunt the state department feeds you a light lunch by a warm fire. it is nice to sit there with all the other hunters and drink a beer. We had a good conversation about hunting traditions in the US. and where I was from, ect. I really hope they invite me to do another hunt.

I made it back in time to help with the final preparations for dinner. There isn't much to say about the night. There where 14 CBYX/PPP participants and friends in the church. We had a huge dinner, 4 turkeys huge.





We hung out and talked until near 4 am. Oh I almost forgot we had a reporter in our company and here is the article. 


Saturday they got a tour of Münster and its christmas market. Of course we also, in German style, celebrated my birthday starting at sundown. I had intended just to stay in the house and enjoy the company of my friends. But at midnight after a toast to me, I was taken out to the club. Definitely a good night, I cannot even start to explain what it was like. Was more familiar and with the group felt more secure in the club. 







I appreciate all the Birthday wishes from home on Sunday, And the few people I got to talk to added to the relaxing I did after everyone was away. 

All in all We laughed, And We Danced, And we had a really(x3) Good Time!

As allways,

Cody A Glick

No comments:

Post a Comment